Duct Cleaning Investigated by CBC





by Mike Coates
Boundary Park Journal
January 18, 2013

I don't often watch CBC's Marketplace but an advertisement informing me that this weeks show was investigating duct cleaning companies and how many of them have been ripping off homeowners by overpricing their services or not performing the work properly. I hope Marketplace has included Sears Canada in their list of companies performing unsatisfactory customer service.


Three years ago we had our gas forced air furnace replaced by Sears Canada who recommended to us at the time of installation to add an electronic air filter. We took Sears advice and have to date been very pleased with how well the electronic air filter performs. 

Today having  used the last of my replacement fibre glass filters,  I telephoned Sears to order more  filters. Sears advised me that a box of 6 x 16 x 25 replacement filters would cost me $39.50 + tax and the delivery would cost me an additional $32.50. Or I could pick them up at their Sears Coquitlam BC office and save the delivery cost.

When I protested that having to drive from South Surrey, where we live, to Coquiltam and return was inconvenient I was then asked if I wanted my furnace or air ducts cleaned implying that I could save the $32.50 delivery cost by spending an additional $349 at Sears.

I informed the Sears representative that my furnace or air ducts would not require cleaning until next summer and was then advised that they would "see if they could get one of their technicians who might be working in Surrey next week to drop off a box to my home." 

From the representative's tone of voice, I was left with the feeling that my chances of getting the replacement filters next week or anytime would be slim. 

It saddens me that Sears Canada, once a recognized leader in customer service has now sunk to this level.

CBC Marketplace Trailer http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/01/17/marketplace-duct-cleaners.html






















6 comments:

steve91 said...

Duct cleaning is very briefly explained here. Helped a lot. Thank you Appreciate this.

Anonymous said...

Duct cleaning is very briefly explained in your article. That’s why I read it again and again and thank you so much for this sharing.

Professional Duct cleaners NY

Air duct cleaning Toronto said...

I never expected that there are actually plenty of companies in Canada that offer this kind of service to the homeowners.


Air duct cleaning Toronto

ductcleaningontario said...

It is very well written blog about duct cleaning how it can affect your health and suffers you diseases like allergies, asthma, lung cancer, headache etc. it also can raise your energy bills up to 30% and slow air circulation, making the entire HVAC unit work not properly. So over all duct cleaning make your life comfort and smooth.

Ontario Duct Cleaning

Anonymous said...

That dosnt surprise me, as I used to work for Sears Duct Cleaning, customer service is horrible in this city, that's why I decided to start my own company and treat all of my customers with respect.

Shaod said...

After reading the article I am understand about your Air duct cleaning Services